WWII GERMAN MEDAL - WEST WALL MEDAL
he West Wall Medal was a military decoration of Nazi Germany. It was instituted on 2 August 1939 and was given to those who designed and built the fortifications on Germany's western borders and the troops who served there prior to May 1940. In 1944 as Germany was expecting the arrival of the allied invasion, a second badge was given to those who took part in the fortification of the western borders. In all 622,064 medals were awarded until the end of the war.
The design of the medal consists of a bronze/dark color oval with a wreath on its perimeter. An eagle is placed in the upper portion with its wings fully extended. a crossed shovel and sword are placed just below. The image of the corner of a pillbox is placed under the tools.
The back of the medal reads "Fur Arbeit Zum Schutze Deutsch Lands".
In 1944, a second production run was conducted to reward the workers and military personnel strengthening the notorious Siegfried line. This version of the medal was commonly known as the "German Defense Medal", to distinguish the decoration from its 1939 counterpart, and was constructed of a bronzed zinc. A bar with the date "1944" was authorized for those who already held the 1939 version, but this award was never mass produced